Saturday, April 16, 2011

I am not good at being sick…

There has been a form of black plague sweeping through the branch I work in, and, of course, typical to form, people will still come in to work, when on the verge of death.  Personally I resent the sharing of germs like this – my opinion is that if you are sick you should stay home and get better.

Why do people still come in when they are sick? WHY???

A girlfriend of mine explained her reasons for this to me a few years ago.  At the time she had two boys under the age of 5.  She said that if she stayed home when she was sick, she would still have to do all of the Mom stuff that needed doing, and that being in her workplace actually gave her a break from dealing with two sick children and a sick husband.

Fair enough – I can understand this… but still – the sharing of germs is not fair to the rest of us…

This past week I have had the initial stages of what could turn into a nasty case of the plague… yesterday afternoon I started to get a headache and this morning I woke up with the stuffy nose, dry cough AND headache.  I phoned in sick.  This, unfortunately, breaks my no-sick-days record. I haven’t taken a single one since I started in the branch and the one head cold I actually have had this past year I got and ended while on vacation… So while today served a good purpose, helping me rest and feel better, it also stopped me doing some of my usual things I would have been doing today.

Even though I am 41, I can still hear my Mum’s voice in my head saying that if I was too sick to go to school then I was too sick to _____ (insert whatever it was here that I was wanting to do) so in spite of the sunshine, I didn’t do any lawn or garden work.  I did manage to get some inside stuff done, but truly, not a lot.  I took a three hour nap after I finished my lunch – and when I woke up, my headache and sinus congestion was gone. Woo hoo! Yay for naps!

Provided I wake up tomorrow feeling better than I did when I woke up this morning, I’ll take advantage of what promises to be another sunny day, and walk the dog (she was a trooper today and kept me great company all day) - and I’ll mow my little raggedy patch of back yard.  I’m also thinking that I may stop at Art Knapp’s and get some more plants and some fencing for the little side flower bed.

But only if I still feel better...

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment