Friday, September 28, 2012

Happy Anniversary to Me!



 Yesterday marked the one-year anniversary of “all hell breaking loose” for me. One year ago yesterday I:
  • Started my new job (and the associated training program – which just finished last week,)
  • Took possession of my new home, and;
  • Moved into my new home (and out of the townhouse I was renting)

When I look back over the past year (as is, I think, appropriate to do right about now) I can see I have accomplished a lot both on the job and around my house…

At work I have made a good change for myself – am now involved in a job I like – one that interests and challenges me and, for the most part, one I can leave at the office when I go home at the end of my day.

At home I have made a start to the renovations inside (and the removal of 17 different kinds of wallpaper)










And am now surrounded by clean lines and light colours:




I made a start to the changes in the back and front yards.  I hacked back a lot of this:







Removed all SORTS of strange and interesting crap:








And am left with this for now:



No more jungle out there but still a ways to go.

Where renovations to the house itself are concerned, I have also learned that I need to use some temperance in getting things started – or rather, taking on only one project at a time and seeing it through to completion BEFORE starting a new one.

I have learned how to water-bath can food and am in the throes of preserving as much of the current bounty of my space as I can before winter sets in. Next year I hope to have an actual garden and to produce (and preserve for myself) even more of what I can grow.







I still have a long way to go, but looking back, I’m pleased with my progress.

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment