Saturday, August 24, 2013

Replacement of an Oil Tank

As many of you know, my house is heated with a combination of an oil run furnace and a wood stove.  The wood stove was installed in January of my first year in the house after an all-day power outage that left the house frigidly cold.  The need for a secondary heat source was totally evident and so I had that dealt with in very short order.

When I bought my house, the inspection noted that they weren’t able to determine the actual age of the oil tank (though the furnace itself was less than two years old as it had just been replaced.  I knew that I would have to have the oil tank dealt with as a high priority item as I had read a few articles about the major problems that occur for home owners when an oil tank ages to the point where it develops a leak.

Mine was still “oil tight” but I was nervous about how long it might actually last and so along with the hot water tank (which was in even more dire need of replacement) and the toilet, it was a consideration for “top three” items to be dealt with.

In June of this year I was finally able to have the tank replaced, so I contacted my oil company and got the ball rolling.

First things first, they drained the old tank and pulled it out and disposed of it.
Old Faithful - drained and ready
to be taken away...
Next, they cleared a new space and then poured a small concrete pad that the new oil tank would sit on.

That looks awfully small for an oil tank!
And finally? Installation and fill of the new tank.

THAT's why the concrete
pad was so small!
The old tank held about 900 litres, whereas the new holds about 600 - so it takes up a LOT less space than the old one. I used the space where the old one was to build a small raised bed in which I will plant next year’s pumpkin crop!

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment