Monday, January 31, 2011

Creative Visualization, The Secret and The Law of Attraction

I first encountered creative visualization when I was living in Calgary in (gah) roughly 1991. I lived on 10th Avenue in the North West (right near the river at Kensington) and a couple of doors down from where I lived there was a new age books & crystals store. One afternoon (while browsing in said shop) I saw this book called Creative Visualization and, thoroughly hooked at the concept that I could USE MY BRAIN to attract things to me, well, I bought the book. I don’t still have the original (which I read and re-read so many times that I split the spine) but I do still have a copy of the book and I do pull it out and review the material about once a year.

Essentially it teaches techniques to help you visualize the things you want to manifest in your life. These techniques help you to focus on the best way possible to bring about what it is that you want.

By now, almost everyone has heard of The Secret (and the follow on, The Power) which is very similar in nature – just broken into different ways of doing things – including working to actually FEEL how that thing to be manifested would impact life.

The theory behind the law of attraction (sorry, way too many links for the law of attraction for me to post just one) is that we attract what we focus on most often. Focusing on what we want – changing our internal vibrations to attract into being the things we want to manifest. Additionally, the law of attraction shows that by focusing on not wanting something, we usually manifest this very thing into our world. I read somewhere that the brain focuses on the last few words of what we think when we are trying to implant something in our phyche. One of the ways this was explained to me (and totally hit home) was when someone walked me through the Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) campaign and how it has changes its slogan in order to work with this.

Do you remember – it used to be “Don’t drink and drive.” That’s some heavy negative reinforcement. A few years ago, with a little more foresight, they changed it to “Arrive alive, drive sober.” Yes, it was on TV tonight when I was watching – which is why this example is first in my brain.

Anyhow, where am I going with all of this? I don’t think the “method” of how we manifest things into being in our lives matters so much as the intention and our deep-seated feelings about what it is we think we want. Be it Creative Visualization, The Secret or the Law of Attraction, our intention is what drives when, where, why, what and how we bring about change in our lives. If the ultimate intention is to have a new car, but you don’t believe you need, want, or deserve (pick your poison here) a new car, well, then you’re not going to get it. Until you are able to see yourself, happy and grateful, in a new car – one new TO you – one you genuinely believe that you deserve… well, it’s just not going to happen!

The same thing goes for a job, a home, money and relationships.

The key to bringing it all about is to genuinely believe you deserve to be happy. You deserve to be fulfilled. You deserve the job and all of the perks it brings. You deserve to own you own home. You deserve to have “more than enough" money – money available to you for anything you want to do or try or have or be because it is “enough” for you. You deserve to live with an abundance of love surrounding you - love that is true and honest and faithful.

So first things first – identify what it is that stops you from believing that you deserve to have these things, to be happy and fulfilled and to live a life of abundance. Forgive yourself for your mistakes. Forgive others for theirs. I’m not saying forget about the mistakes – I’m saying learn the lessons of the past and FOR HEAVENS SAKES, MOVE ON with your life. Open your eyes and your ears and your heart – you never know what or who you might be missing out on by hanging onto the past so tightly that you can’t see past your scrunched up fists.

Next, put together your plan for bringing the thing(s) you want into your world. Want a new home? Start looking! Start planning! Dream big – it is most certainly allowed!

Now go for it. Take action - some small action.  Right now. Seriously – what’s stopping you?

I know that the only thing that has stopped me is me. Well, no longer. I am not preventing my success or happiness any longer. Will you join me? Success and happiness are just a vision away!

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment