Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday – a day of rest?

Sunday – one of my faves, for sure. Sleep in. Drink coffee on the sofa while wearing my robe. Late breakfast of junky food I shouldn’t be eating, but it tastes so good it has to be Sunday brekkie. Then the walk with Jasmine, in daylight hours.

Sundays allow me the opportunity to relax and catch up. They also allow me the opportunity to reflect on the previous week’s happenings and to offer a little forethought to the week that is fast on its approach.

Relax and catch up includes the lazy start to the day, and also the opportunity to get any odds and ends finished that didn’t get completed during weekday evenings. This particular weekend’s Sunday saw me getting that final load of laundry done, a little bit of vacuuming (yes, vacuuming with my Dyson Animal still feels like a science experiment gone wrong) and a little bit of baking.

OK, actually it was a little more than a little bit – two batches of cookies were made today – one was chocolate mint chip with pecans, and the other was peanut butter. YUM. I’ll be in cookies for the next couple of weeks thanks to today.

Reflection on the previous week includes the day-by-day “how did it go, what could I have done better / differently” set of questions. Lately this has also included the personal listing of at least three things to be grateful for each day. I used to do this and then fell out of the habit for some reason. Recently I decided that I had best pick it back up again because really, I have a HECK of a lot to be grateful for in my world.

Some highlights from this past week? On Monday, I got to see (from a distance) my Crush. Yes, Crush gets capitalized here. Leaving work during daylight hours on Tuesday, and spending a lovely afternoon and evening with my dog, who I love. 45 minutes of extra work on Wednesday – I’m still part time and so every little bit helps. Thursday, getting to see my chiropractor and being told that, on the weekend of my birthday (which is now about three weeks away,) I can have the green light to try my first run (yahoo!!) in about 2 years. Friday hanging with a girlfriend and getting the three picture frames needed to finish up a Feng Shui task. Saturday, getting a great weekly coaching session (with loads of positive feedback) with my boss.

On top of the reflection of each day, today I wanted to think a little bit on how things are feeling overall, now that a large part of the Feng Shui changes have been made. Words that come to mind include brighter, more optimistic, more energetic, and clearer.

For me, the forethought to the week that is fast on its approach usually includes setting up some positive mantras for me to repeat to myself in the mornings as I drive to work. Some of the ones I use are:
  • Today is a great day!
  • Fabulous things have been happening to me all day! (First thing in the morning this one works REALLY well because there is no contradiction at all to this!)
  • Everyone I see has a smile on their face today!
  • Today is a GREAT day to be alive!
Just so you know, some days this is a lot harder than on others – but I have found, consistently, that when I start my day with a positive thought and plan in place, the rest of the day follows suit. Great things happen. People smile. And at the end of the day, no matter what kind of day it turned into, not matter what the weather, traffic or clients have been like, I know that when I get home Jasmine is going to be beyond excited to see me – her face will be laughing, I will get kisses and cuddles, no matter what. How could I possibly have a bad day, or bad week, when I have this to look forward to?

And as I sit here at my computer, looking forward to the next great week ahead of me, this is what I see – so just take a couple of seconds to imagine how great your week will be!


With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment