Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Fulfillment

The dictionary defines fulfillment (the noun) as “the state or quality of being fulfilled; completion; realization” I then looked up fulfill (the verb) – that seemed more likely to give me the definition I was looking for – yes, it is better and more specific to what I’m talking about.

To fulfill:
  1. 1. to bring about the completion or achievement of (a desire, promise, etc)
  2. 2. to carry out or execute (a request, etc)
  3. 3. to conform with or satisfy (regulations, demands, etc)
  4. 4. to finish or reach the end of
  5. 5. fulfill oneself: to achieve one's potential or desires

I understand how to achieve some desires – the physical state ones, at least. Namely, set SMART goals, and then work toward completing them. What I’m not totally clear on is how to achieve emotional fulfillment on the desires that aren’t physical as much as emotional and spiritual.

My questions are these – how do we know when we are fulfilled? Is there a switch that flips, one that changes the emotional landscape inside us? Is it possible to be fulfilled in some aspects of your life and not fulfilled in others? Once fulfilled, can that switch flip the other way and we become unfulfilled again? Is it possible to be satisfied with the landscape of your life but not fulfilled by it?

It may just be me, getting side-tracked by semantics here, but I’m also not clear on how we know that we have achieved our potential. How do we know what our potential actually is? Is potential a finite thing, is there some book in the cosmos that lists out each individual and the finite amount of potential that person actually has, or is a person’s potential infinite? I believe that potential is an infinite thing – that the human heart, mind and soul have infinite possibilities and potential, and that the heart, mind and soul of a human being can achieve anything, given enough time, strength, energy, patience and love.

I can see I’m going to be chewing on this for a while. I’m no closer to resolution in my thoughts than I was before I started. Fulfillment is still a mystery to be pondered.

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment