Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spay Date

Wednesday of this coming week is the appointment for Jasmine’s spay. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling some anxiety over it all.  What has me concerned? Well, Belgian Shepherds are very low-fat dogs and sometimes anaesthetic-related procedures for them are tricky.

When I booked the appointment for her spay I made certain to ask which of the veterinarians in my clinic have experience with sight-hound spays – and Jasmine is booked in with one of them.  So that’s a relief.

In recent months the procedure also changed – still invasive, the surgical incision is smaller and they are now only removing the ovaries.  It doesn’t shorten the anaesthetic time though.

She goes into the clinic around 8:30 in the morning and I’ll be leaving work early that afternoon to pick her up around 2:00 in the afternoon.  I suspect that, until she’s home and through the pain (and I’ve made it through to the other side of that first night home post surgery) I’m going to be feeling anxious…

With love across the waters,

No comments:

Post a Comment