Thursday, June 9, 2011

Decisions, Decisions - But While on Vacation?

Vacation usually means that the most difficult decision I have to make is whether or not it is time to add more sunscreen.  The answer to this question, for me, is always yes.  If I am thinking I may need more then yes, I probably needed more an hour or so ago.

Yesterday I wrestled with what second hand books to buy. Buckshot Books, just in Errington / Qualicum area, is a WONDERFUL book shop, and the owner / operator (Carol) knows her stuff!  I found 8 or 9 books to add to the vacation reading selection and am now good to go for another week at least.  I also found the COOLEST Sesame Street mug - Super Grover! It is over in the car right now, but when I get it home & washed out it will become my new coffee mug.  God knows, mornings ARE a job for Super Grover!

Home (to the cabin) again, booty unpacked (and by booty I refer to loot, not prominent hind quarters *grin*) I sat down to continue reading my current book - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest.  Damn, SUCH a good read and a crying shame Stieg Larsson died!  Anyhow, some reading and a nap later (yes, vacation also equals napping) I found myself out of the sun and wind for a little while and planning out “what next”

My what-next decisions right now surround the ever-present question of my current state of under-employment, whether or not I need to make any additional re-arrangements of furniture (Feng Shui wise) and, on a more relevant to vacation platform, what time I need to head up to Comox on Friday in order to best optimise my time there as well as the chores I will need to accomplish in the 24 hours I will be home for.

Under the “Under Employed” category, I’m still wrestling with whether or not I might be best served by leaving my current employer.  I’m happy with the company, but the region in which I currently live is notoriously tight for full time work, and the branch itself doesn’t appear to be a best-fit for me after all.  I’m applying for full time positions, both internally and externally, but what being on vacation has allowed me to contemplate is my happiness levels… and right now, in the role I am currently doing, my happiness levels aren’t high.

Right.  Look for new work.  New Employer and full time job is the Feng Shui focus as of today.

Ok, decision made.

Heading home on Friday isn’t really a tough decision.  I’ll go up at high tide Friday afternoon and come back down on the high tide on Saturday.  That will allow me a little more than 24 hours to do laundry, mow the lawn & water my plants as well as get some groceries and perhaps cope with some paperwork once the real chores are complete. I may even tidy the house and vacuum - but I don’t want to over-do it!

With love across the waters, 

No comments:

Post a Comment